I am an assistant coach for the Worcester Smiles, a semi-pro UWS team based in Worcester, MA. This is this staff’s first year coaching and so we wanted to revamp the tryouts process. I put a call out to Twitter to find out what other people do and did a little research on my own. I present here what I came up with.
Here is the rationale and some guiding principles behind this document:
- wanted everyone on the same sheet rather than an individual sheet per player
- wanted something dynamic rather than static
- the scales in each box are so that we could rate players repeatedly (and visually) in the same category rather than just assigning a number or ‘grade’
- wanted something that could yield a total (whether sum or average) against which each player could be compared
- wanted some space for comments or narrative
- I knew this space would be tight at best because of the scales but included it anyway
- actually just ended up often writing over other columns to expand on the hash marks / grades
- wanted some explanation or expansion of each category so included that on the next page of the form and then printed them double-sided
Here is a screen shot of the form and the explanations to give a sense:
Here is the form itself in full.
Certainly welcome and feedback you might have.