Hit the Cone
- This game is pure fun, it’s so simple that even four and five year olds can play it yet 15 year olds will gain a lot from it too.
- Objective: to improve shooting technique, passing and communication.
- Set up: use a circular or rectangular playing area about 30 yards across.
- Place a large traffic cone (or a flat cone with a ball balanced on top of it) as a target in the middle of the area.
- Mark out a five-yard exclusion zone around the cone.
- Divide your players into teams of three or four.
- Use three teams per playing area.
- How to play: each team tries to score a point by hitting the target. Players cannot enter the exclusion zone. First team to five wins.
- Add a goalkeeper or a defender to work in the exclusion zone protecting the target.
- Reduce the number of touches each player is allowed.
- Reduce the size of the playing area.
- Play with two balls.
I might also add as a progression (or as part of it from the beginning) to award 2 points for every ‘goal’ / hitting of the ball and then a point (or maybe a half point; too much?) for whichever team races in and replaces the ball on the cone.